Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Making Progress

It's been a total of 10 days since my surgery and my full time job between returning home on Saturday and now has basically been to try and drink enough fluids and keep up my calorie intake. I never thought this would be such a difficult task! My dietitian had urged me to try and have 2,000 calories a day. On any day prior to surgery, this would have been a simple task that I would have welcomed with open arms but on liquids only, it's extremely difficult. I was only managing between 500 - 1,000 calories a day at most. 2,000 calories sounded a lot to me but my dietitian explained that my body still has a lot of healing to do and needs the extra energy. 

I had my follow up appointment with the dietitian and surgeon today and they're both really happy with how I'm going so soon after surgery. My healing is going as well as it possibly could and they told me I'm looking really well given it's only been 10 days. Part of the reason I'm healing so quickly is because of my keyhole surgery. If they did have to make a larger incision, it's likely I would still be in hospital so I'm very grateful for this. 

Exciting news of the day
This might not be exciting to anyone but me but today at my appointment I was told I no longer have to stick to my liquid diet and I'm allowed to introduce pureed foods. I couldn't have been happier with this news! I've lost 3 - 4 kg since before my surgery so they're hoping to reduce my weight loss by introducing foods other than just liquids. 

Given I can't eat a lot at a time, I have to have about 6 small meals a day and try to make these meals calorie dense. First pureed meal = mince in pasta sauce, potato and cheese. It looked pretty terrible (per below) but tasted amazing! Just like Spud Bar only pureed (well almost anyway). I may have over done it a little as I'm a bit too full but I'm sure as time goes by I'll get used to my portion sizes and how much I can handle. If I have any more room tonight I also bought a jar of Nutella to melt and have on ice-cream. YUM! 

I must admit, it is very strange trying to include foods with higher calories and fat content when pre-surgery I would be doing the exact opposite. But I'm sure not complaining!

Pureed potato, mince in pasta sauce and cheese - looks terrible, tastes delicious!





2 comments:

  1. we miss you at sen, glad you are doing well? when will you be on the news? xx
    shello

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missing you guys too :) (although not the work so much haha).. I was on the News tonight so will text you the link xxx

      Delete